Can you believe that this year is already half way over? We are on the down slope to Christmas now! (And yes, I am very excited about that) but onto my 6th healthy new habit!)
My skin has always been something I’ve struggled with. I have the most sensitive skin in the world, and I am prone to just about every single thing that you can have wrong with your skin. Acne, dryness, oil, moles, warts, ingrown hairs, cold sores, you name it, I’ve had it. Also, my skin and the sun do not get along. My arms get sunburned from driving in the car. I’ve been on many medications (including accutane) for my skin that have caused some side effects to my health, I’ve been bullied for my skin, and I use to spend many hours crying about being known as the “girl with acne”. It’s been a long struggle, but I’ve learned over the years what works for my skin, and what doesn’t. I am finally starting to love my skin, so I am doing everything I possibly can to take care of it!
Here I am at seven years ago, with my future husband, and my future hair color. I’d think this picture was taken yesterday until I look at my poor skin. (and derek’s hair, LOL)
Since I live in a dessert, that feels like an oven this time of year, I made it a habit this month to moisturize my skin daily. I’ve always been good about taking my make up off every night, and washing my face twice a day, but moisturizing my skin was like flossing my teeth, I’d think about it, but it was never part of my daily routine. I make sure to moisturize not only my face, but my whole body as well. My skin looks brighter, and it’s much healthier. I have never loved it more, and I don’t think it’s ever loved me more. 😉 This is the moisturizer I am using right now. It has the perfect amount of moisture, but it doesn’t make my skin oily at all. I hardly feel it!
The whole Probiotic skin care line is amazing! Below are a few of my absolute favorites.You can find it on Amazon or at most beauty supply stores.
The other day at work, a lady said to me “you have the most beautiful skin.” I just about lost it in tears. I have never had that compliment in my entire life. She didn’t know it, but she made my whole day.
It’s an everyday struggle to feel confident in my skin, but I have a few tips that work very well for me. I notice such a difference in my skin and the way I feel about myself when I do these things. I hope they can make you feel the same!
- Drink A LOT of water. If you are dehydrated your skin will show it.
- Eat healthy foods. Just like water, your skin will show what you’ve been eating, so try to stay away from greasy and fatty foods.
- Avoid the sun! Everyone needs some vitamin D, but your skin will survive better without it. Wear sunscreen, wear hats, or stay in the shade. I am a freak when it comes to sunscreen.(I got made fun of for it in high school) But there is nothing I hate more than a bad sunburn. I only buy foundation that has SPF in it, and if I am feeling a little on the pale side, self tanner is the way to go!
- Use good products. Just like hair products, your skin needs good products, even if it means splurging a little. Stay away from convenient store make ups and face washes and shop at beauty supply stores instead. You will notice a huge difference!
- Give your skin a break. Just like we all need to a break from clothes every once in a while, your skin needs a break from make up. Let those pores breathe and skip the make up a few times a month!
- Cleanse twice a day. I feel like a complete mess if I don’t wash my face every morning and night. Your skin naturally produces more oil at night time, and your pillow case doesn’t help at all. I think It’s a no brainer of why you should wash your make up off every night. The worst thing you can do to your face is pile layers of make up on top of old make up.
These tips are just from my personal experiences and lessons learned. Let’s all learn to accept our skin, feel confident in it, and keep glowing.
Onto the next adventure, Wren