They always say time goes faster the older you get, but I know that isn’t true. Time just becomes more precious. I started my 24th journey around the sun this week, and for the first time in my life I said “I feel so old” and actually meant it. I said that at the age of 13, but knew I was practically still a child. I said that at the age of 17, but knew I wasn’t even an adult yet and far from old. And I said that at the age of 21, but was always surrounded by people who made me feel like the baby.
I know I am not old. Being in your early 20’s doesn’t make you old. But boy, did 23 make me grow up. And in a sense, I feel so much older than I did at this time last year. I learned more at 23 than I have any other year of my life. I had the most self growth and learned more about myself this past year than I have in all of my other years combined. Not too mention, I had some of the best experiences, and made so many memories that I know I will hold onto forever. I loved 23, and I am sad to see it go. But since it was such a big milestone for me, I decided to share 23 lessons I learned at the age of 23.
- Happiness comes from the inside some place between your head and your heart.
- Everything else that “makes you happy” just adds to the happiness that is or isn’t there.
- Traveling will be the greatest teacher you’ve ever had.
- This world is big, and witnessing it will make you feel small.
- No body will ever have the same outlook as you, accept it.
- You’ll be surprised who makes an effort when you stop making an effort.
- You’ll be even more surprised by who doesn’t.
- Just because someone tells you they’re “doing good” doesn’t mean they are.
- Self love will be the hardest lesson you’ll ever learn.
- You may not ever fully learn it. That is okay, don’t ever stop trying.
- Surrounding yourself with people who have the same interests as you will make you feel connected.
- Surrounding yourself with people who have different interests than you will make you learn.
- Beauty standards are just made up by society.
- Everyone has a different perception of beauty and success.
- Marriage should never feel like the end. It should always feel like the beginning of something amazing.
- If it starts to feel like an end, there is usually something that can fix it. Try hard, it’s worth it.
- It’s okay to constantly change your interests and passions to find what makes you happy.
- Growing older is no excuse to stop doing something
- Communication and honesty is key in every relationship; friends and family included.
- Good music or a good view are the two cures to just about everything.
- It’s okay to be vulnerable and sensitive about your feelings.
- There is always something that can make life feel more beautiful. Look for it.
- There is never a right time to do something you want, do it now.
Onto the 24th year of this beautiful life I’m living, and onto the next adventure, Wren